Spencer Lacrosse London

London's premiere lacrosse club for players of all abilities

Spencer Results - 27th Jan & 3rd Feb

As we move in to February the weather is getting colder and the pitches are getting muddier. Here is a look back at the results from the last two weekends.

Spencer 22 - 1 Cardiff (27th Jan)

The first team came out to a resounding victory at home following on from a thrilling away win at Hillcroft the previous week.

Hampstead 19 - 8 Spencer (3rd Feb)

Hampstead/Spencer clashes are always hotly anticipated and there is always an air of mystery about what strength of team Hampstead will be able to field. Coach Leahy summarises the game:

It was a tough game against an opponent with a high number of american collegiate athletes. Unfortunately on this occassion they were the better team on the day. We now have to stay focused and finish the league games as successfully as possible to keep us in contention at the top, as we have seen in other seasons anything can happen in these last 8-10 weeks. We also look on to our flags games and getting to the final once again.

Spencer 2s 18 - 2 Maidstone (27th Jan)

The 2s had a game that, on paper, looked to be an easy win. Despite the large scoreline the game was competitive throughout and maidstone battled hard for posession.

Captain Felix Bull:

Maidstone proved a tougher game than expected and their defense proved difficult to crack. We found our stride in the second half, with Jamie Stagg having an outstanding game in midfield and at face offs, and Ed Shee again having a stellar game in attack.

Spencer 2s 11 - 4 Hillcroft A (3rd Feb)

The 2nd big clash of the first weekend of February saw Spencer 2s going up against their biggest rivals in South London's Hillcroft 2s. A fast-paced game with excellent defence and superb goalkeeping at both ends saw Spencer progress to the Flags semi-final where they will meet East Grinstead.

The 2s go back to Mitcham this coming weekend to play Hillcroft 2s again, this time in the league. A win or draw there will all but secure the league title.

Purley 8 - 8 Spencer 3s (27th Jan)

Captain "Moose":

Leading the game throughout, we were disappointed to settle for an 8-8 draw in the end. We had been the better team and played some our nicest lacrosse this season. Purley were an experienced and physical team though who fought hard, and their goal keeper had an incredible game - pulling off unimaginable saves at times. Our own Speedy Swede, Gustav Martinsson was man of the match with 4 goals and great performance. We’ll take the good bits from the game and are looking forward to our HUUGE cup tie against Oxford next week.

Spencer 3s 9 - 12 Oxford University (3rd Feb)

Captain Benji summarises the game:

The three’s hosted Oxford University in a nail biting cup quarter final. The tie remained close until mid way through the fourth quarter when it was 8-8. Oxfords youth and fitness allowed them to overpower the threes in the end, outfighting us on ground balls and holding possession for long periods in the fourth. Clinical finishing allowed Oxford to come out 12-9 winners and we wish them good luck in the semi final against Bath. 3rd team debutants were Stee Shaw, James Keal and Paul Lefebvre - all had a great game. Spencer goals came from Joa Schuwer (4), Ben Thompson (3), James “Moose” Morrison (1) and Gustav Martinsson (1).

Oxford 2s 6 - 4 Spencer 4s (27th Jan)

Captain Cooper on the action:

After a slow start in frankly awful conditions of mud, wind and rain we finished the first quarter 0 - 1. Managing to equalise thanks to an excellent goal from James Smith we were hoping that perhaps we could edge ahead.

After conceding another goal we were able to pull it back to 2 - 2 at the end of the third.

With everything to play we went into the fourth quarter with confidence. After conceding two goals in quick secession the win seems to be slipping away. We were able to add a couple more goals to the score sheet but so did Oxford finishing at 4 - 6.

Cambridge 2s 8 - 5 Spencer 4s (3rd Feb)

Captain Mike:

After a few weeks of poor results we were hoping that this flags quarter final would be our day.

After finishing the first quarter 2 -1 down with less than ideal weather conditions, we were struggling to break Cambridge down.

The second quarter was more promising as we racked up two goals. Unfortunately Cambridge managed to bag four.

The defence railed in the third preventing the Cambridge attack from getting anymore.

As we entered the 4th we knew we could still win. After some excellent work in attack Luke Mullery put two past the keeper. 5 - 6 the win now looked possible. After holding off the Cambridge attack for over five mins they made it 5 - 7. With only three minutes left we tried hard to equalise. In the last seconds a a slip up by Spencer lead to a fast break and Cambridge made it 5 - 8.

Fixtures 10th February

Spencer - Blues
Hillcroft 2s - Spencer 2s
Welwyn 2s - Spencer 3s

Share this post: